Last updated March 23, 2020. This post will continue to be updated as more information is available.
Two Chairs Community,
As the situation related to Coronavirus (COVID-19) develops, we are closely monitoring guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization, as well as Bay Area departments of public health. Please review the below for up to date information about your care.
As you likely know, last Thursday the state of California issued a stay-at-home order until further notice, in light of ongoing developments related to Coronavirus (COVID-19). Our clinics will remain closed until further notice, and all sessions will take place via teletherapy.
Our mission is to provide access to exceptional mental health care for everyone, and we remain deeply committed to ensuring access to care. Research shows that therapy is much more successful if you are able to engage in weekly or biweekly sessions. We encourage you to continue in care via teletherapy in the coming weeks, and to see below for tips to inform your care.
We will continue to re-evaluate as the situation evolves, and we appreciate your understanding. As always, we are here to support you.
Preparing for Teletherapy
Our care at Two Chairs focuses on in-person connection whenever possible. However, extensive research shows that teletherapy offers an effective way to ensure continuity of care, and continue your relationship with your clinician. Similarly, for our new clients, teletherapy allows you to get started in care with a clinician who is a great fit for your needs, goals, and preferences. Below you’ll find guidance to set you up for success in your upcoming teletherapy sessions.
- You will receive a calendar invite for each session. The invite will contain instructions on how to join a secure session, and what to do if technical disruptions occur
- Video or phone sessions are both available - feel free to discuss with your clinician, and decide what makes sense for you
- Our teletherapy services are conducted using secure, HIPAA-compliant tools
- Before each session, be sure to have an emergency contact in mind, and let your clinician know where you’ll be located -- this is an important safety step! To start the session, your clinician will ask for your location, and gather your verbal consent to begin care via teletherapy
- Finally, most insurance plans cover teletherapy services. To confirm coverage for your specific plan, call the number on the back of your insurance card and route to benefits. From there, ask whether CPT code 90837-95 is covered under your plan. Reach out to [email protected] with questions.
Ensuring a Smooth Session
We encourage you to try the below suggestions, to ensure a smooth and productive teletherapy session.
- If at all possible, identify a quiet, enclosed space to protect your privacy. Please avoid doing teletherapy sessions while driving
- For video sessions, be mindful of where you sit in relation to a window or source of light. Try to ensure your face is clearly visible, with no glare. Your visible expressions are equally as important via video as they are in person!
- If you can, place your computer on a stable surface (not your lap) and avoid using your phone for video sessions
- Turn off any notifications and minimize sounds that could be distracting during the session
If you have questions or concerns about teletherapy or your care, feel free to reach out to your clinician or our Care Coordination team, at [email protected] or (415) 202-5159.
In the coming weeks, we will continue to update this page with further information. Thank you for being a part of the Two Chairs community.
The Two Chairs Team